KL Rahul is expected to be India’s wicketkeeper batsman in the 2023 World Cup and Rishabh Pant is unlikely to make it before the ICC’s 5 September squad submission deadline.
The deadline for the submission of squads for the 2023 World Cup is set. As previously reported by InsideSport, August 29 will be the preliminary date to submit the teams, while September 5 will be the deadline. Beyond that, all teams must obtain the approval of the ICC Technical Committee. As of 5th September, it is almost impossible for India cricket team to put Rishabh Pant back in action, BCCI and selectors want KL Rahul to do the job instead. Currently recovering, Rahul will return to action at the 2023 Asia Cup.
“No, it is not possible to get Rishabh back for the World Cup. He needs time, more importantly, he needs more time to resume his role. Rahul is our designated keeper for ODI and there is also Ishan and Sanju as backups. a senior BCCI official told InsideSport.
ICC on WC Squad Submission Deadline:
“Initial squad submission deadlines in our tournaments are 30 days before support periods begin. Support periods start one week before tournaments.
Changes can be made prior to the support period without requesting permission, but once the support period begins, replacements must be approved by the Event Technical Committee.”
There were initial discussions that Rahul would also be a full-time goalkeeper in the tests. But since his fitness was a concern, the selectors didn’t go that route. Instead, they back Rahul to regain his full fitness before the Asian Cup.
Currently undergoing rehabilitation at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bengaluru, Rahul has resumed batting practice. He will now gradually increase the intensity of the training over the next few weeks.
KL Rahul is recovering from thigh surgery for an injury he sustained in IPL 2023. While he missed the second half of the IPL as well as the WTC 2023 final and the West Indies tour, it is likely that come back for the Asian Cup.
“The idea was to have Rahul, Shreyas and Jasprit back for the Ireland series. It would have helped them get back on track. But we are still not sure if Shreyas and Rahul will be fit by then. We have time. We’ll see how they progress. They should be fit for the Asian Cup if all goes well. As for Jasprit, we are very hopeful that he can return for the Ireland series.” added the official.
World Cup 2023: Where does India stand in the injury crisis?
- Jasprit Bumrah: After missing a year of cricketing action, Bumrah is on his way to fitness for the IND vs IRE T20s.
- The premium pacemaker had a recurrence of his back injury during the tour of England last year. Although he came back for 6 overs, but the rushed return cost India dearly. Bumrah missed T20 WC, IPL and WTC Final in addition to the IND vs WI series.
- Bumrah has now started speed bowling in the NCA and will be playing some practice games this month.
- KL Raul: He is making good progress since surgery. However, he just started hitting this week and still has a while to get in shape. He will continue to increase the intensity of training and it is likely that he will return for the Asian Cup.
- Shreyas Iyer: Despite initial setbacks, Iyer returns to normal. He also underwent back surgery and began hitting practice. However, it is unlikely that he will make it to the tour of Ireland. But since the series only starts on August 18, the selectors will call it later this month.
- Rishabh Pant: Despite making remarkable progress since his near-fatal car crash in December, the young wicketkeeper batsman is far from returning to full fitness. It is expected that he will take another 6-7 months to get back into shape.
Follow InsideSport on GOOGLE NEWS / Follow the live updates of the World Cup 2023 with InsideSport.IN.