Media Contact: Communications Specialist Drew Winchester | Drew.Winchester@sarasotaFL.gov
Sarasota FL: The new seven-member committee will study financially sustainable options, as well as the use, purpose, and lease of the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall.
Those chosen, along with the selection criteria, include:
- 2 – residents of the City of Sarasota; (Melissa Gissinger, Selma Goker Wilson)
- 1 – experience in historic preservation; (Morris Hylton III)
- 1 – financial experience in the field of performing arts; (David Rovin)
- 1 – experience in architecture, performing arts center design, reuse of large structures and public buildings; (Charles Cosler)
- 1 – experience in climate adaptation, FEMA and floodplains; (Robert Bunting)
- 1 – experience in civil structural engineering; (Lee-in Chung)
The City of Sarasota and the Sarasota Performing Arts Center Foundation entered into an agreement in April 2022 to establish and define responsibilities for the planning, financing, design and construction of a new performing arts center to be located at The Bay Park.
Now that the committee has been appointed, they have two years to provide recommendations to the City Commission.
The City Commission unanimously approved the creation of the Van Wezel Purple Ribbon Ad Hoc Committee on May 1, and applications were accepted through June 19.
Information about the Sarasota Performing Arts Center is available at http://www.PerformingArtsFoundation.org
Information about tickets and upcoming performances at the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall can be found at www.vanwezel.org
About the City of Sarasota: Ranked by US News and World Report as one of the top 10 places to live in the US and the number one place in Florida, the city of Sarasota is a diverse and inclusive community located on the Suncoast of Florida with 56,000 year-round residents. the year, several internationally recognized cultural arts venues, breathtaking sunsets along Lido Beach, and Major League Baseball spring training with the Baltimore Orioles. Learn more about us at www.sarasotaFL.gov