RICHMOND, Virginia.- The Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) announced its 2023 ITA Division I Men’s and Women’s Academic Teams and Academic Athletes. Individually, Alaister Burke, sebastian miano, William Karpinski, alex wernink, Lara Bakhaya, elizabeth novak and Polina Sitikova they were honored as ITA Academic Athletes based on their outstanding academic achievements, while the men’s and women’s tennis programs were listed for the full academic team.
This marks the first ITA All-Academic Team Award for the men’s tennis program, the second honor for the women’s program, and the first for the women’s since the 2018-19 academic year.
To be named an ITA Scholar-Athlete, the following requirements must be met:
- Have a grade point average of at least 3.5 (on a 4.00 scale) for the current academic year.
- Be included in the institutional eligibility form
To be named an ITA All-Academic Team, programs must meet the following requirements:
- Have a team grade point average of 3.2 or higher (on a 4.00 scale),
- All listed student-athletes must be listed on the institutional eligibility form, and
- All varsity letter winners must be factored into the team’s cumulative GPA for the current academic year.