Councilors approved the latest of the city’s sports grants, known as Our Sporting Future Funding, at their regular meeting on Tuesday, July 18, with the Shepparton East Football Netball Club and Kialla Park Old Students Tennis Club each receiving $30,000, the largest amounts of all recipients in rounds two and three.
Shepparton East FNC will add the grant it has received to $46,000 it has raised to fund a new electronic scoreboard on its home plot at Central Park Recreation Reserve.
Kialla Park Tennis Club has raised $50,000 of its own to add to a council grant for a program to upgrade two courts, making them safe and ready for synthetic turf.
Shepparton Field and Game is another club that benefits from grants with $15,000 to buy new sports equipment.
The motion singling out successful candidates was seconded unopposed by councillors, with praise for the organizations and the work they do.
However, Cr Seema Abdullah told the meeting that the lack of applications from clubs and organizations promoting women’s and girls’ participation in sport indicated that more could be done to promote grants to that sector.
“What I notice is that there have not been many applications in the women and girls category and as we know this funding program offers five funding categories including major facility development, minor facility development, sports aid, women and girls and young people. and youth participation, so again I was a little disappointed that there weren’t many applications in the women and girls category,” she said.
“Surely there is a great need. I’m sure there’s also a huge appetite for increasing opportunities for women and girls in sports, so why aren’t we hearing from these groups?
Our Sporting Future Funding – Second Round Recipients
- Shepparton East Football Netball Club: Score update: $30,000.
- Tatura Football Netball Club: Buy a portable marquee – $1119.
- Goulburn Valley Hockey Association: New Score – $5852.
- Shepparton Seaworthy: Yacht Fleet Upgrade: $6551.
- Tatura Lawn Tennis Club: Strategic Plan – $5000.
- Greater Shepparton Basketball Association: Update GSBA Corporate Structure – $5000.
- Shepparton United Soccer Club: Strategic Plan – $5000.
- Shepparton Swim Club: Healthy Eating Program – $1600.
- Grahamvale Sports: Trust and Arbitrage at Grahamvale – $1775.
Our Sporting Future Funding – Third Round Recipients
- Shepparton Field and Game: Purchase of new equipment – $15,000.
- Kialla Park Old Students Tennis Club: Courts 1 and 2 make a sure project – $30,000.